Wednesday, August 20, 2008

There are time machines, RIGHT?

Monday was Amelia's first day of school. Well, not really. It was meet the teachers night at her soon to be nursery school. She was a bit shy with the teachers but she tore all around that place jumping and sliding. Breaking each one of their carefully posted rules.

I am so happy with my decision to send her to nursery school. I was hesitant at first since I DO stay at home. But Amelia really needs to be socialized in a setting that's safe and away from me. Since she is in love with the idea of school, I thought that nursery school would be the best place for her.

I was really enjoying watching her run and laugh. I was good. Until. I turned around to look at a bulletin board and saw it. A tiny green cartoon frog with "Amelia" written in penmanship that puts my chicken scratch to shame. Before I knew what was happening, much less stop it, tears were welling up in my eyes. I could totally blame this on pregnancy hormones, but this had nothing to do with pregnancy. Not this one anyway.

She's growing up.

I think of all those nights I spent trying to get her to latch, or stop crying or SLEEP. I would, God help me, wish away this or that stage. Please, I can't wait until she is more independent. She's taken small steps. She's even been in daycare. But since I made the decision, almost a year ago, to keep her home with me she has been stuck to my hip. Now she will venture out into the world a bit. And this time she can't wait! And today I am squeezing my eyes shut and wishing with all my might that she will somehow morph back into that tiny baby who would giggle in the middle of the night when she woke up.

Can you imagine what the ACTUAL first day of school will be like?

No comments: